Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Ugly Side of Travelling, *1

We focus a lot on this blog about the great adventures and escapades of travelling around the world. But travelling is not non-stop fun and excitement, and nor would I want it to be so. Travelling is hard work, and often, life throws you a lemon, and since you are abroad, no one wants lemonade.

So this series will focus on the negative stories of travelling. The horrible, terrible, and digusting things that have happened to me this trip, starting with...today!

July 2006, Salzburg, Austria.
With my ticket in hand, I board my train, and put my ticket down. Then I put my...wait...where is my daypack!?!?!! AHHHHH!!!

I run out of the train. I had it when I got into the train station, my over panicky mind tells me. I run to the info office, ask where the lost and found is (thank god they speak english in Austrian train stations). It is not there. I think...I had it when I bought my ticket. Did I leave it at the ticket counter?

Of course, there are 8 people in line, whereas 5 minutes ago, none. My train leaves in 10 minutes, but I don´t care about that anymore.

``I think I left my bag here´´, I ask hopefully.
``Ahh...yes!´´, he runs into the back room. I wait a minute, hopeful but pessimistic. Then I see him, walking in, with my daypack!
``Oh, thank you so much! Danke Shen! Thank you!´´, I shower him with thanks. Then I look at the clock. 12:09. My train leaves at 12:10.

No biggie...there are lots of train to Wels, where I am going. I catch the next one, in half an hour, and get to Wels, where I need to make a connection. I look at the board...hmm..no trains to Grüneu. The last one seems to have departed 15 minutes ago, and the next one.

2 hours. ARGHH!! (and here i am typing from an Internet cafe at the train station)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home